Wednesday, October 19, 2011

For Love of a Dress: Green Edition


Dress: A to Z Tees (Alhambra Outlet)
Tights: Hue (Macy's)
Boots: Abound (Nordstrom Rack)
Head band: H&M

Dear Beautiful Green Dress,

I considered beginning this letter with a reference to Browning: "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways. I love thee to the depth and breadth..." blah blah blah. I also considered Shakespeare: "Let me not to the marriage of true minds admit impediments. Love is not love which alters when it alteration finds or bends with the remover to remove..." yadda yadda yadda. But Browning and Shakespeare's respective odes to eternal love seem too trite and cliche. I decided instead to try to describe my love for you in my own words, insufficient as they may be, for that added personal touch.

When I spied your fern-y green folds at the store peeking out from behind other equally beautiful dresses, I immediately knew that we were destined to meet. To be honest, I hadn't been looking for you. I showed up on that fated day with the intention of buying your red hued sister. And yet, there you were... waiting for me... silently beckoning me closer...

I remember carrying you into the dressing room reverently, and trying you on for the very first time. You fit like a dream. And your color. Oh, your color! I felt like I was wrapped in the folds of a verdant green meadow. I knew then and there that you and I were going to make so many wonderful memories together. Picnics in the park, rides on the ferry boats, spins and twirls in the garden: the world would be our oyster.

I'm fully willing to accept that there are some out there who won't understand our love, who will mock it and judge it unfairly (coughcoughMr.CPcoughcough). All I can say is: they don't know us. They don't understand us. They simply don't understand the beauty of the love between a girl and her beloved dress. And that's okay. After all, I didn't intend to find you. You just sort of... happened.

I know deep down in my heart, my lovely green friend, that we're going to live happily ever after until that sad, sad day when you go to that big old closet in the sky. And in the end, that's all that really matters.

Yours eternally (or at the very least for many years),
Kelsey



A brief note about the outfit. I know the colors aren't your typical autumny colors (that one's for you, Jen!), but there's still something about this outfit feels really autumnal to me. Then again, I like this pairing enough that it screams winter, summer, and spring to me, as well...



No comments:

Post a Comment